Monday, September 27, 2010

Great Day with Grandparents

The Tuesday after the fun in Las Vegas, I had a great outing with my grandparents in San Francisco.  It was one of the highlights of the summer and let me tell you why.

First, we went to the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park, which is currently featuring priceless works from the Musée d'Orsay.  The Musée d'Orsay in Paris is currently undergoing extensive renovation, so they are lending our their major works.  The collection is broken up into two showings: Birth of Impressionism and Post-Impressionism.  We saw the Birth of Impressionism, but the Post-Impressionism collection is now on display.  Obviously, no photographs were allowed, but the museum website highlights what works from Degas, Monet, Manet, and Renoir were on display.  This was an amazing exhibit if only for the fact that I just drove an hour and paid twenty dollars to see priceless works of art that usually would cost me thousands of dollars to go and see.  The de Young will be the only museum in North America to feature the Post-Impressionist works by Cézanne, Van Gogh, etc., so I highly recommend going.  I'm hoping to go.


After we got out of the exhibit, the weather was incredibly perfect, so we had lunch at a restaurant that faces the ocean called Beach Chalet.

The top floor of this building is the restaurant

Our tickets from the de Young museum included free entrance into the Legion of Honor, which is another San Francisco museum that normally houses the European collection.  The architecture alone is worth the trip up to this lesser-known museum.

Roudin's The Thinker

After seeing all the great art, we took a drive around to soak in the beauty of San Francisco on a sunny day.  I got out of the car at one point and snapped this great picture.





It was a great day in San Francisco all thanks to my grandparents!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I don't know what happened to my comment--maybe it is because I was using my other google account.

    Anyway, love the pic of SF. Glad you had a great time with your grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a good time showing you around, Amanda. I hope you'll have a chance to see some of the art treasures of Europe while you and Darren are there.

    ReplyDelete