Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Graduation and Las Vegas

Back in August, I finally finished my Master's program in the Earth and Space Sciences Department at the University of Washington.  When I first began at UW, I was in a Ph.D. program, but with Darren's job change and a change in the kind of career path I want to pursue, I switched to a Master's program back in January.  I had finished my coursework before I left for Antarctica, so all that was left was to come up with a research topic, pursue it, and write a thesis.  I worked remotely most of the time and went up to Seattle once a month for ten or so days at a time.  The seven months I commuted back and forth were at times unpleasant, but generally I had a blast.  I got to hang out and live with good friends in Seattle, while Darren and I appreciated each other more since we weren't both at home all the time.

At the end of the summer quarter, I wrote my thesis and gave a presentation on my results and had an oral defense afterwards.  My thesis wasn't that great, but everyone said my presentation was really good.  My thesis is on the department website, if you are curious.  Once I turned in that thesis to the graduate school and I was officially done, I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.  Unfortunately, I took zero pictures to commemorate the event.  My family here even had a small graduation party for me and I still forgot to take pictures...

Right after I flew home from finishing my program, we drove to Las Vegas to attend a wedding for some of our good friends from Boston.  I had never been to Las Vegas, so I was excited to go.  When we arrived the day before the wedding, we hit all the major spots on the strip.

The fountains at Bellagio

After walking around for two hours seeing all the major hotels and sights, I must confess that I did not really enjoy the strip.  I don't enjoy smelling like an ash tray, I got tired of people trying to hand me inappropriate fliers, I didn't want to pay $16 to ride one roller coaster once, and except for the Bellagio, I didn't think the hotels were that impressive.  I know some people do enjoy going there, so I think it's just not for me.

The best part of our trip was, of course, attending all of the wedding events on the next day.  We went to a brunch in the morning to meet all of the wedding guests and had some delicious crepes since both the bride and the groom enjoy French culture.  We were also privileged to attend the wedding ceremony inside the Las Vegas temple.


The Las Vegas LDS temple, taken later in the day



 The happy bride and groom exiting the temple after the ceremony


Later on that night, they had a reception in a family friend's backyard that was beautifully landscaped and well-decorated for the occasion.


 
A string quartet played music during the first half of the reception


They had great desserts and bridal portraits that were stunning

Me and Darren


Some other good friends from Boston also attended the wedding and it was great to catch up with them.


The couple in the middle are now engaged and are getting married soon! Congrats!


The next day Darren and I attended church and then left for home.  We had a great time at the wedding and were really happy we were able to make it!


4 comments:

  1. Good pics! I feel the same way about Vegas - but perhaps I enjoy the opulence of the hotels a little more than you do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegas equals sensory overload. Although, I went there for a concert six days after my mission so it was pretty overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for being done with your Master's! I'll hopefully be there someday soon ... I also think it's fantastic that you're the first one of our Cambridge friends to get a graduate degree. Way to show up the Harvard boys! ;) Spencer's wedding looks like it was so nice! Thanks for sharing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the juxtaposition of the photo of the Bellagio and the photo of the temple.

    ReplyDelete