In the middle of September my grandparents were able to visit us. My grandpa loves mountains and my grandma loves chocolate, so of course they needed to come to Switzerland! They arrived on a Tuesday, but ended up being delayed four or five hours because of mechanical troubles in Toronto. Luckily, they were able to get some sleep on the plane because as soon as they dropped off their stuff at the apartment, I rushed them out the door to see downtown Zurich! But first, every good Swiss trip starts off with chocolate!
Grandma and Grandpa's welcome gift, a piece of delicious Lindt chocolate
Showing them around downtown Zurich, it was a beautiful day
Hanging out with Darren at the Zurich Arboretum after he got off work
And every good Swiss trip starts off with dinner at Zeughauskeller, also! Yes, I have the perfect itinerary down now after so many visits. So we took them there that first night and it was delicious as always. It was so fun to see them enjoy all the little things I like about Switzerland, too, like the special French dressing and German-style potato style.
The next morning, since it was a bit cloudy, I had us do some indoor things. We drove down to Gruyere to visit the chocolate and cheese factories. They had fun trying all the samples of chocolate at the Cailler factory and seeing how cheese was made at the Gruyere factory. Then we headed into Gruyere to have lunch at the same delicious restaurant I took Dad and Macy to called Restaurant La Fleur de Lys. Now that I have tried fondue in a bunch of different places in Switzerland, I have decided this restaurant has the best. Grandma and Grandpa loved it, too.
Grandpa and I trying to decide what chocolate to buy
Grandma in heaven at the chocolate taste testing station at Cailler
Me eating the delicious fondue at the restaurant in Gruyere
After walking around the very cute town of Gruyere, we drove down to see the Olympic Museum in Lausanne on Lake Geneva. Like me, Grandma loves the the Olympics, so I was excited to take her there. In addition, both Grandpa and I did high jump in high school, so we enjoyed goofing off at the museum.
Grandma and Grandpa at the Olympic Museum
Grandpa and I trying to high jump over the world record height, I don't think we made it
Trying to get over the high jump by other means
My grandparents next to beautiful Lake Geneva
After visiting the museum, we walked a few blocks to have dinner at a creperie that I had wanted to try. A friend in Zurich had recommended it to me when we went there last time with Dad and Macy, but we weren't able to go. All of us got one savory and one sweet crepe and it was delicious.
One of the crepes we ate, yum!
After dinner, we drove back to Zurich to get some rest. The next day was going to be sunny, so I took them to the best place in Switzerland: Interlaken! We took the train up to Kleine Scheidegg and had a great picnic lunch. Then we hiked from there over to Mannlichen to see some more great views.
Me and Grandpa at Kleine Scheidegg
Me and Grandma with Grindelwald in the background
Doing our Sound of Music picture at Mannlichen
We took the cable car from Mannlichen back down to Wengen and got some souvenirs at one of my favorite stores. From there, we took the train back down to Lauterbrunnen and headed home. We had a late dinner with Darren after he got off work and then went back home. More to come in the next post!


Loved the photos with your grandparents, Pan. Looks like you had a wonderful time with them and visited all their favorite places. Great photos of you and Alan trying the high jump.
ReplyDeleteVery cool...as always. I'm tired just looking at the pace you guys kept ; ) I'm very disappointed that we didn't get to try that creperie...I'm starving now!!!!
ReplyDeleteI was there and I can say IT WAS FABULOUS--each and every minute.
ReplyDeleteTHANKS FOR SUCH A FUN EXPERIENCE.