Wednesday, May 4, 2011

London: Part Three

On Easter Sunday, we did a lot of walking to see some sites and to enjoy the great weather.  We started from our hotel in the financial district and walked south across the Tower Bridge.  We then walked along the southern bank of the Thames, heading west toward Westminster. 

Heading towards Tower Bridge, looking back at Tower of London and the financial district

The Tower Bridge, one of many bridge on the Thames, but I think the coolest

The Tower Bridge was completed in 1894 and is a draw bridge.  The bridge used to go up at least five times a day when river travel was more important, but now it hardly ever opens.  As you can see in the picture above, there is a walkway connecting the two towers at the top that is now open to the public (for a fee, of course).  I'm sure it has great views, but it was a very hazy day (as you can see from all these pictures), so it wasn't worth it to go up there.

Darren in front of Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge from the other side of the river

Tower of London from the other side of the river

An example of how busy the attractions were: the line to get into Tower of London

The southern bank used to be where the poor lived and illicit activities occurred, but over the last 60 years, the waterfront was rebuilt with posh apartments and shops with a lovely promenade.  Several museums and attractions moved/were built here and the famous Borough Market is now a must-see for any foodie.  We walked along the promenade and took pictures of a few of the southern bank highlights.

Replica of Sir Francis Drake's ship he used to circumnavigate the globe, which you can tour

Shakespeare's Globe Theater, replica of the original, where they perform the playwright's works

Darren with the Millenium Bridge on the right and St. Paul's Cathedral in the background

The London Eye, built in 2000

Westminster Bridge and Palace of Westminster

Me in front of Big Ben on Westminster Bridge

We ended our four-mile walk at Big Ben and figured it took us about two hours to do.  We then took the subway back to our hotel to change into church clothes and left to attend a Mormon congregation in South Kensington.  After that, we went back to Westminster Abbey to attend a service called Evensong, which is like an evening prayer, I think.  The famous Westminster Abbey Choir performed several songs with an amazing organ and organist.  They also had a short scripture reading, a small (and entertaining) sermon, and some prayers.  We mainly went to hear the choir and the organ.  Darren used to sing in a choral group for services at the Harvard Memorial Church, so he enjoyed listening to the choir and even knew some of the songs the Westminster Abbey Choir performed.  I really enjoyed listening to large and powerful organ played by a very talented organist.  Organs are amazing instruments!

After the service, we did more walking!  We walked over to Hyde Park and sat for a bit enjoying the sun and the greenery.  Then Darren went over to see Speakers Corner in the park.  I don't know much about this tradition, but in 1872, London passed a law making it legal for anyone to address an audience in this corner of Hyde Park on Sundays.  I refused to go over there to see people making a spectacle of themselves and trying to get attention, but Darren went over an snapped a few pictures because he thought it was interesting. 

One guy addressing the crowd in Speaker's Corner

After that, we headed down Oxford Street (a shopping street) to find a fish and chips place I had picked out.  We walked for a long time just to find that the place was closed for the holiday.  UGH.  We just ate at McDonald's and called it a day.

Oxford Street

4 comments:

  1. What a nice way to spend Easter. I would have loved the service in Wesminster Abbey. It certainly was a different type of Easter for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing trip. Wow. Grandpa would have LOVED going to Speakers Corner--a lot of history there for sure.

    I love Westminster Abby--so beautiful.

    I agree that Tower Bridge is the prettiest.

    When we were there in 2005, Bev and I wanted to ride the London Eye but the line was way too long--maybe another time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaker Corner is amazing. When President Hinckley served his mission in the UK, he spent time there preaching ; )

    I still maintain that the London Eye is a travesty. The skyline of that area of London was much better off without that "attraction".

    You guys should have gone inside The Globe - really cool tour. I can't wait to see the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved hearing how you spent Easter in church although two different experiences. Who gets to hear th Westminster Chior on Easter? Pinch yourself this is an unbelievable experience!
    My biggest disappointment is hearing you finished a wonderful day with McDonalds. Are you kidding me?

    ReplyDelete