The main buildings and front pond of Nymphenburg Palace
The whole palace is now split up into several different museums, but we only had time to see the part of the castle where the main hall and the royal family's apartments were, which were located in this building below.
The main buildings of the palace
The first room on the tour is the best and most breathtaking. Below are pictures of the Great Hall, which gained it's opulence from it's redesign by one of the Bavarian rulers in the 18th century. I just loved everything about this room and I was glad we spent a long in here admiring all the details and the art. I loved the vaulted ceiling, gold trimming, and the vibrant colors in all the frescoes. The sunshine radiating in from the two floors of windows didn't hurt either.
The Great Hall
We actually got really lucky because they were supposed to begin some work on the front facade of the palace the day before we arrived. However, the starting date got pushed back to the day after we left. The chandeliers were all wrapped up because they will be doing work in this room. You can see in the picture below in the bottom right some of the scaffolding they will be putting up for the work. The work will continue through the rest of the summer, so I was ecstatic we were able to see the palace before the renovation began.
Other side of the Great Hall
A hallway in the Nymphenburg palace
One bedroom used by the royal family
The room where King Ludwig II was born
The garden behind the palace
Another small residence on the palace grounds when they needed to get away from getting away
Darren in front of the small residence, Badenburg
Me, just outside the palace grounds, heading back to the city center
It was then time for lunch and we all are now aware of how important meals are thanks for Darren's commentary in the last post. Since it was Sunday, most places were serving brunch, so we had a great brunch at the Glockenspiel Cafe, which was on the sixth floor of a building right on Marienplatz. We had a great view of square and of the Neues Rathaus (New Town Hall), the Neo-Gothic building you can see below.
After lunch, we visited the Alte Pinakothek, which houses 14th- to 18th-century Flemish, Dutch, German, Italian, French, and Spanish paintings. The museum was small, which was fine and some of the paintings were interesting, but the museum did not have any signs explaining any of the paintings or artists. They only displayed the painting's name in German and the artist's name underneath the painting on the frame. It would have been great to know more about what we were looking at. The one upside to this art museum was that they actually allowed you to take pictures, just without a flash. So we were able to take some shots to remember what we saw.
Dutch painting from the 16th century
Leonardo Da Vinci, Virgin and Child, 1473
Propylaea
That was our whirlwind trip to Munich! There was a lot more to see that we didn't get to, but we were happy with what we did. More posts to come this week, including a unique Swiss holiday I celebrated yesterday!
















Great, as always, Amanda. Beautiful shots of the interior of Nymphenburg Palace. I'm surprised they allowed photography. When we went to Sans Souci in Potsdam, photography of any sort was not allowed.
ReplyDeleteLincoln and I really love your blog. I download so many photos from your blog to use as desktop backgrounds. Really. You really have the best combination of personal information and historical information in a short paragraph. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, so your blog is perfect for me. Thank you for all the effort you put into this for us!
ReplyDeleteLinda
GUESS WHAT? Macy and I ate at the Glockenspiel Cafe, when we went to Munich!! This was the place where they all wanted to hold Garrett (as a baby). In fact, our waiter took him to the kitchen (which made me panic for a second, when I couldn't see him...but they all thought he was adorable. Who am I to complain ; )
ReplyDelete