Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Beautiful Swiss Alps

All the days leading up to the spring festival were just beautiful here.  It got well into the 70s and since good weather is not a common occurrence in Zürich (though it doesn't seem that way this Spring), everyone has been out trying to enjoy the sun as much as possible.  The Saturday before the spring festival, I went over to the arboretum to read and came upon this mass of people.


All the city dwellers enjoying the sunshine

Almost every square-inch (or should I say square-centimeter) of grass was covered with people.  This park is right next to the lake, but there isn't a beach here, though lots of people were still wearing beach clothing anyways.  As most city dwellers know, not having a beach should not stop you from working on your tan. ;)  

I should just add that for some reason, the Swiss are obsessed with grilling.  The Swiss feel every summer activity should involve grilling.  Going on a hike?  There will be grills along the trail for you to stop and cook your sausage.  Don't have a grill handy?  You can buy disposable ones and take anywhere.  I haven't seen them, so I can't describe what a disposable grill means exactly, but they are popular.

Anyways, I walked along the park and the lake and got another great shot of some flowers, but really the highlight was having a clear view of the Alps.  A lot of times it is not clear enough to see the mountains, but on that day, they were very visible.  I took some pictures and even a video, since it's tough to capture them all in one shot.








On Thursday, we leave for a long weekend in London!  We will be there for five days and I still can't fit in everything I want to see.  No, we won't be there for the royal wedding, but I'm sure wedding fever will be high.  The weather is supposed to be unusually sunny and warm, which makes me even more excited than I was before, which I didn't think was possible.  Can't wait to share pictures with you next week!

3 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful skyline when it's clear. The one day we were there it was rainy and didn't even know the Alps existed. Spring is beautiful everywhere when it's sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT pictures. Please, please track down a "disposable grill" - I'm dying to see what they look like there. And no, a Google search will not suffice ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--that's a lot of people just enjoying the sunshine ; )

    Love the flowers.

    Have a GREAT time on your trip.

    ReplyDelete