Monday, March 21, 2011

Bürkliplatz Farmer's Market and Zürich Arboretum

Within walking distance of our house we have a fantastic park and the best farmer's market in Zürich.  The farmer's market is located on Bürkliplatz and is open in the mornings on Tuesday and Friday, year-round.  I was introduced to the market back in December by a friend as she helped me learn some key phrases in German for buying things.  Obviously, though, there wasn't much available in December, with only some baked-goods, fish, and some winter fruits and vegetables.

A Baker taking a pictures of some other bakers

Mushrooms were available in December

However now that Spring is arriving in Switzerland, the market is bustling with people and fresh ingredients.  I stopped by last week on my daily walk just to take pictures.  I'm still too nervous to talk to the vendors on my own.  I was trying to discreetly take pictures because my friend has mentioned some people don't like you taking pictures of their stalls.  I think they don't want professional photographers selling pictures of their wares without asking.


Lots of potted plants and cut flowers for sale, the Swiss love flowers on their balcony

A busy cheese stall


I'm sure I will be showing you pictures of this lovely market again as Spring gets into full swing here.  And maybe one day I will get the courage to buy something. 

Right on the water on the Northwest side of the lake is the Zürich Arboretum.  I love going to this park and do so often on my daily walk.  There are some great views to show you at the park, but right now I just want to highlight the first signs of Spring.

The open grassy area at the arboretum

The first signs of Spring are these flowers that are popping out of the grass at the park.  They are purple and white, tulip-looking flowers.  As you can see in the picture below, the Swiss have rules for everything and have put up signs next to the budding flowers asking people to respect them.  And of course, since this is Switzerland, everyone, thankfully, obeys!



I will take more pictures of these and all the blooming flowers in the next couple of weeks.  We are having lots of sun and a bit of warmer weather this week, so I expect lots of things to bloom.  Happy Spring!

4 comments:

  1. It will be fun to see what kinds of fruit & vegetables are there in the Spring. The white and purple flowers coming out of the lawn look like crocus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome farmer's market - love that cheese stall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure cheese is a pretty popular item, eh ; )

    Farmer's markets are always so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be afraid to talk to them! They will love meeting you!

    ReplyDelete