Darren making bread
I forgot to take a picture of the final product, but let me just say that the breads he makes are delicious. We did some calculations to understand if home-made bread is more economical than store-bought bread and found that is it probably around the same price. However, it is still a fun activity and the bread fresh from the oven is awesome.
I finally ventured into the baking world by finding a main dish that required some dough: chicken pot pies. For my first attempt, things actually went really well! My sister-in-law gave me her super simple pie crust recipe and the rest of the directions I found online. After two hours, here is the final result:
Perfect pot pies
They tasted good too! Now I know a lot of people out there grind their own wheat, make their own chicken broth, grow their own vegetables, etc., so these forays into homemaking may seem like child's play, but I'm pretty proud of us. We really are Bakers!
Way to go! I demand a sample at some point ; )
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed! Homemade bread is kind of off-limits right now, but I'm not even kidding when I say that I dream about it on the elliptical machine. Your pot pies look fabulous, too!
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm typing this with a little tear in my eye. So proud of you. I'm impressed that your hubby bakes bread.
ReplyDeleteYour pot pies look GREAT. I am not good at making pie crusts AT ALL.
aww, i remember darren baking cookies for you in my apt :)
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed!
ReplyDeleteThose pot pies look soo delicious! Yum! And yay for husbands baking bread! (Though we admittedly use a bread machine ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat? Darren bakes? This must be a new development. I can't believe I didn't know this before. That's awesome though :)
ReplyDeletePs...This is Rachelle. In case you didn't figure that out :)
ReplyDelete